Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Get Up And Go Left Without Me!

Ever have one of those days when you just want to spend the day in your pajamas?

Ever have a week like that?  A month?  More?

The chores may scream out for attention like a bad trip through a haunted house but you are frozen in your ability to deal with that.  You are stuck in inaction and incapable of moving forward.  You hate this about yourself- but are incapable of doing anything about it.

Welcome to my world.  If you have ADHD, this is a familiar world.

Today I wanted to get up and run errands.  My brain made all these great plans.  My brain wanted to get up and go but- SQUIRREL!!!  I got distracted by something that made little sense but seemed imperative at the time.

Usually I have external requirements on Tuesdays.  This week I had no such luck- but I had a belief that I could discipline myself to take forward action, regardless.

*sigh*

Motivation is a difficult thing for ADHDers.  As in, we have little and what we have is easily overwhelmed by distraction.  Without strong coping mechanisms, our ability to de-motivate is epic.  Worse is that we can validate what we consider a "decision" to not do things as something other than what it is- an incapability to move forward independently.

So what do you do?

I think the key is figuring out what MOVES you.  What can get you out of the jammies, away from the computer, shoved into the shower?  Whatever that is, you have to USE it.

Am I great at this?  Not hardly.  What I am proposing is that I can become good at it if I set the right things in my path.

I don't know what that looks like just yet, but at least I know what I need to do and I am open to doing it.  Even if it is merely taking my computer to the coffee shop (Yay Dunn Bros!) every morning.  Finding ways to make myself accountable to doing something.

One way I can be accountable is to be accountable to the people who read here.  I don't know if it will work, I just think it might be worth a try.

Wish me luck.  I'll let you know how it works out.


No comments:

Post a Comment