Monday, June 30, 2014

Reality and Vaccination. Why Refuse to Believe?

On Friday, November 22, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed President John F. Kennedy as he passed in a motorcade in front of the Texas Book Depository on his way to the Dallas Trade Mart where he was scheduled to give a speech.

On Sunday. November 24, 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was killed by local club proprietor Jack (Ruby) Rubenstein as he was being transferred from the the local police headquarters to the jail.

I was about 13 months old.

For a reason I have never understood, I needed to understand all this.  I knew that it impacted my life but didn't know why.  So I tried to understand.  Reasonable when you consider that my father was a constant student of history.  Dad's obsession with Lincoln was so great that my middle name was taken from General Robert E. Lee.

Umm... Dad?  I'm a GIRL!!!

Moving on...

For the last 50 years, the theories of conspiracy around JFK's assassination have been boundless.  Most of them have also been... ummm... witless.

So to me, the question to answer is, "WHY???"

Well, because.

I'm having to accept that the simplest answer often steps up to challenge your viewpoint- and moving past that might be uncomfortable.  Uncomfortable often means that you won't go there.  *sigh*

Lately I am feeling really challenged by people who refuse to vaccinate their children for the usual childhood diseases.  Partly because those unvaccinated children are a health hazard to me.  Mostly because those children may not die themselves but can contribute to the deaths of other children.

Like most children of the 60s, I was inoculated for everything known about at the time.  I had Chicken Pox at 7 months old- too young for a vaccination.  At eleven I was exposed to Chicken Pox- I already had it so I was safe... right?  No.  I got Shingles.  I went through a hell that I will never be able to put in words.  The femtosecond I was able to be vaccinated against Shingles after 50, I exposed my bicep and whined until I got the shot.  I REFUSED to go through the hell of having Shingles again.  I was two days past my 50th birthday. (you had to be at least 50 to get the shot- because it was obviously IMPOSSIBLE to get Shingles any younger.)

The most common idea is that vaccination of children will result in autism. Show me the science.

Autism, like ADHD is highly genetic.  If your un-vaccinated kid ends up being autistic, you are fooked for something to blame.  If your reasonably vaccinated kid has autism or ADHD- which we all know isn't real- then that Measles vaccination probably didn't change the genetics.  But you have something to blame.

Huh??????

I lost out on the ability to have a relationship with my mother because I had to fight through her guilt and the crap she loaded on my sisters because I have ADHD.  Back in the day, it was ALWAYS the Mom's fault and that left a mark.  Dealing with this reality has been a little slice of, "Can I check out now?"

I was vaccinated half to death.  Why?  I caught EVERYTHING!  I had pneumonia two or three times a year until I was eighteen or nineteen.  I had Scarlet Fever.  I had Croup until I was 12.  And I had Shingles at eleven.

Conspiracy theories exist because people refuse to believe the evidence before them.  Oswald couldn't possibly have acted alone because it takes more than one person to assassinate the President, RIGHT???  Proof is meaningless, comfort of thought is all important.

If you have a kid with ADHD, it isn't because you are a bad person. failed to look out for your child, or suck at life.  You have a kid with ADHD.  Kid has autism?  All the same applies.

Quit with the need to set blame.  PLEASE.


No comments:

Post a Comment